HOW TO OBTAIN RECOGNITION OF TRAINING AND SKILLS FROM THE QUEBEC DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION, RECREATION AND SPORT (MELS)
The recognition of vocational training and skills is based on a process in which adults obtain recognition—in the form of a diploma or certificate and based on a program of study—of the skills they have acquired through life and work experience.
Recognition of training and skills by MELS makes it possible for firms to
- Develop the potential of their teams;
- Train and further develop employees within the firm;
- Make investments in human resources cost effective;
- Enhance employees’ existing skills;
- Develop employee loyalty by recognizing employee skills; and
- Increase employees’ knowledge, self esteem and motivation in their jobs.
Recognition of training and skills makes it possible for individuals to
- Increase their chances of advancement;
- Improve their qualifications in order to keep their jobs;
- Increase their chances of finding a job;
- Decrease the amount of time allocated to training;
- Change careers more easily; and
- Obtain prerequisites for other courses.